Thursday, September 3, 2009

Your best friend should go to Jail

A good friend bails you out of jail, but a best friend goes to jail with you saying "damn, we messed up!"
~ Mr Smarty Pants

I came across this quote during my time in social networking sites, so I thought I'd comment briefly on it.  Honestly, it is a lame attempt at being profound, and worst of all, it doesn't really reflect truth. In context, I'd say that this quote seeks to answer "What makes a best friend?" but doesn't succeed. One could find more truth or profound sayings in a Cookbook - at least those descriptions make you hungry!

The main problem with this quote is that it ignores another alternative. Namely a friend that will do all in his/her power to prevent you from going to jail in the first place. And no, I'm not talking about a friend who is loaded with guns (like Neo from the Matrix) in order to crush anyone who wants to take you to jail. I'm talking about a person who does what is morally right in his life, and will do everything that is within his power to prevent you from doing anything that can harm you.

I suppose you could say I'm nitpicking. After all, the quote acknowledges that they screwed up but this ignores my point. The quote uses that as a criteria of what a best friend would do and I find that it really belittles the other friend who helps bail you out. Screwing up together does not magically make someone a best friend in any sense. If it does, then I'm missing out on a life-changing truth that I'd like to see defended. That way, I can go out and go to jail with a friend knowing that I'm cool and the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment